The Fresno County Women’s Chamber of Commerce was originally established as a committee within an organization. Women served on some committees but, were not allowed to hold office and did not have voting privileges. Because women were paid lower salaries in those days, most women could not afford to join the Greater Fresno Area Chamber of Commerce. In 1950, that all changed. Martha McKinley received permission from the President of the Chamber to form a “Women’s Section”, with dues more affordable to the working women of that time. They were to have their own Officers and Bylaws. For the next 40 years the Women’s Section acted as a support group for the Chamber. In 1990 it was time for a change and thus evolved the Fresno County Women’s Chamber of Commerce, a 501(c)(6) organization.
Our mission is to provide and promote professional opportunities, personal development, financial growth, community leadership and legislative awareness for women. We believe in supporting each other and watching our members’ successes. By encouraging others to do business with fellow members, members see their business and friendships grow.